Use common sense!
- Stay out of seedy parts of town, especially at night
- Stick with well lit, clean establishments with a professional look
- Avoid guys on motorcycles who are tell you that they can get you a great massage girl. Get your own!
How to tell the difference between a ‘Naughty’ massage shop and a ‘standard’ massage shop.
If you see any of the following, you’re more likely to be dealing with a ‘Naughty’ massage shop:
- Younger, attractive ladies, some as young as 18 (hopefully not less!).
- Advertisements for VIP rooms (private rooms upstairs or in a special place rather than the regular ‘up-front’ and/or downstairs rooms.
- You don’t see any foot massage going on.
- Young ladies are dressed up in schoolgirl outfits or other sexy attire
- Ladies call out aggressively, things like ‘Hey, handsome man. You want me to make you feel good?”
Standard Massage Shops usually have:
- Older masseuses
- Ladies dressed up in matching, professional uniforms
- Lots of chairs downstairs for foot massages
- Areas with multiple massages going on without lots of privacy
NEVER go with a tuktuk driver or taxi driver who says he’ll take you somewhere to get a massage and similarly, don’t go with girls on the street who want to take you somewhere to give you a ‘massage.’ There are lots of reputable places to go!
For some horror stories on what can happen (in China, at least), do a search for ‘Shanghai Massage Scams’ on ‘google.com’ or ‘tripadvisor.com’